Chiprovtzi Bulgaria - Travel Guide, Tours, Hotels and Photos - Pictures of Bulgaria

Home   About Bulgaria   Regions   Settlements A-Z   Sightseeing A-Z   Useful Info   Travel Tips   Articles
Bulgaria Hotels   Bulgaria Tours   Bulgaria Car Rentals   Hot Offers   Maps of Towns   Free Wallpapers   Forum
Pictures of Chiprovtzi:



View photo gallery
Sea Tourism
Mountain Tourism
Rural Tourism
Ski Resorts
Spa Resorts
Natural Parks & Reserves
UNESCO Heritage
Culture Tourism
Wine Tourism
Hot Offers - Hotel and Tour Discounts
Most Popular Destinations
User Contributed Pictures
Sitemap by Category
Sitemap by Region
Sitemap by Pictures
Sitemap by Hotels
Login / Logout

Settlements: Chiprovtzi

Chiprovtzi - Pictures Of Bulgaria
The town of Chiprovtzi (2915 inhabitants, about 500 m above sea level) is picturesquely situated in the folds between Chiprovska and Iazova Mountain (Western Stara Planina) on the banks of Stara Reka and Martinovska Ogosta rivers. It is 120 km to the northwest from Sofia and 35 km to the west from Montana. Centuries-old stronghold of Bulgarian spirit.
History. Chiprovtsi is a very old settlement, originating in Thracian time, when ore mining in these lands is dated back. There were ledges of copper, lead, gold, silver and iron. In Roman age the region around the village had beenamong the gold mining centres of greatest importance on the Balkans. The village is named after the Roman name of copper - cupprum. It was named Kiprovets first, then Chiporovtzi and finally the todays Chiprovtzi (renamed in 1956). In late antiquity ore minimg had been of great importance for the development of military production in the Rome Ritsaria (today Archar). Slav people had come here after 6th century and borrowed production experience in ore mining from the local inhabitants.

In 13th-16th century Chiprovtzi had been a busy mining village that enjoyed great favours. Here settled Saxon miners, who gave a further impetus to this activity. It is not accidental that right here in the flourishing feudal domains of the Bulgarian boyars Soimirovi a great part of the Bulgarian aristocracy settled after the Ottoman invasion. Chiprovtzi reached its economic, political and cultural boom in the first three centuries under foreign rule. Goldsmiths trade developed most in comparison to all other handcrafts. High artistic production had outlined the town as the biggest goldsmith centre on the Balkan Peninsula in 16th and 17th century along with Tsarigrad, Thessa-lo-niki and Belgrade. Trade with the famous cups made in Chiprovtzi flourished not only on the Balkans and the Ottoman Empire but extended to Central Europe, too. Churches, monasteries, schools, rich and beautiful houses were built in this environment of considerable improvement and culture.

In 16th century the Literary School of Chiprovtsi emerged. Its heights are: Abagar by Fillip Stanislavov, the theological, philosophical and historical works of Petar Bogdan, Yakov Peyachevich and Krustyu Peikich. Petar Bogdan and Petar Parchevich headed the struggle for national independence in the middle of 17th century. In the beginning they relied on help from our western neighbours and the Pope, but were disappointed and began an independent preparation of a peoples revolt. In September 1688 broke the Uprising of Chiprovtsi that was headed by Georgi Peyachevich, Bogdan Marinov, the brothers Ivan and Mihail Stanislavovi and Petar Parchevich. The decisive battle took place in the area called Zheravitsa, where the troops of the Turkish vassal - the Magyar count Emerik Tekeli - defeated the Bulgarians. Those surviving fortified themselves in Chiprovtsi and in the Chiprovtsi (Gushovski) Monastery, but their defence was overcome, too. Outrageous slaughter and brutality occurred. More than half of the inhabitants were slaughtered. A great part of the survivors looked for refuge in Vlashko (Romania), Magyar and Croatia. The town was burnt down, devastated and ruined, after which it never reached its past glory. Chiprovtsi rebelled in 1836 (Manchovs buna) and in 1837 (headed by Varban Penev). Its inhabitants took part also in the uprising in Vidin in 1850.

In 19th c. carpet manufacturing developed very much. The famous Chiprovtzi carpets are handmade from pure wool on a vertical loom. Even today they find markets all over the world, and now in thousands Bulgarian homes the colours of nature in Chiprovtsi beam, collected and immortalized by the tender hands of the carpet masters in Chiprovtzi.

Landmarks: The remains of the Santa Maria Catholic Cathedral constructed in 1371 and burnt during the uprising in Chiprovtsi in 1688. The Ascension Church built probably in 14th century. Burnt after the uprising in Chiprovtsi and later it was restored. In 1865 master Danail from Shtip painted the iconostasis. The remains of St. Nikolai Church it was constructed in 17th century and burnt after the uprising. The Museum of History is arranged in a house built in 1896 as a school. Working hours: 8 a.m. 17.00 p.m. all the week round. The museum and the above-mentioned churches are on the Historical Hill. Sharenata cheshma (The colourful drinking-fountain) - the only monument survived after 1688. Its foundations are about 1.5 m in the ground. In the past it was covered with frescos. Punkos House is near the Historical museum. Now restored it bears the charm of the Revival architecture.

Accommodation: Punkova Kashta Hotel (the second floor of the Revival Punkos House is arranged as a folk-style hotel). The private lodgings are of 1- and 2- star category. Accommodation is made through the Tourist Council (see below).

Tourist information: Tourist Council (2, Vitosha Str., tel. 09554 2168). Tri Chuki Tourist Association.
Transport. There is a regular bus connection with Montana and bus transport to some of the smaller settlements in the region.

User Contributed Pictures

Related Categories

Featured Hotels - Prices and Fast Bookings

No hotels found

Bulgaria Regions: Montana