Etropole Bulgaria - Travel Guide, Tours, Hotels and Photos - Pictures of Bulgaria

Bulgaria
Home   About Bulgaria   Regions   Settlements A-Z   Sightseeing A-Z   Useful Info   Travel Tips   Articles
Bulgaria Hotels   Bulgaria Tours   Bulgaria Car Rentals   Hot Offers   Maps of Towns   Free Wallpapers   Forum
Pictures of Etropole:

Etropole


View photo gallery
Sea Tourism
Mountain Tourism
Rural Tourism
Ski Resorts
Spa Resorts
Monasteries
Natural Parks & Reserves
UNESCO Heritage
Culture Tourism
Wine Tourism
Caving
Hot Offers - Hotel and Tour Discounts
Most Popular Destinations
User Contributed Pictures
Sitemap by Category
Sitemap by Region
Sitemap by Pictures
Sitemap by Hotels
Registration
Login / Logout


Settlements: Etropole

Etropole - Pictures Of Bulgaria
The town of Etropole (12 386 inhabitants, 580 m above sea level) is situated at the northern foothills of Etropolska Mountain (the most eastern part of Western Stara Planina), along the two banks of Malki Iskar River. It is 87 km north-east of Sofia, 25 km south-east of Botevgrad, 28 km south of Yablanitsa, 43 km south-west of Teteven and 27 km north-west of Zlatitsa.

History: There was a Thracian and later on a Roman settlement in the area of the nowadays town, the main occupation of its inhabitants being ore mining. In the beginning of 9th century the settlement was within the territory of the Bulgarian State. Thanks to the ore mining it turned into a flourishing settlement in 16th and 17th century (iron, silver and gold were mined). The crafts related thereto such as blacksmith, goldsmith, manufacture of knives, weapons, agricultural tools, etc., were also well developed. Some ore-miners came to this place from the Saxon area, Serbia and Bosna (the family names of the Alemans, Avramovs and Bohorovs date back to that period). Coins were minted in Etropole during 17th century. The village was destroyed by a devastating earthquake in 1749, but the bright highlanders quickly restored it. Then the year of 1791 came, when the town was ruined 6 times by the kurdzhalii (Turkish brigands). It was once again recovered and took its deserved place in the countrywide cultural and national uplift during the Revival. A manuscript dating back to 1820 named it The glorious town of Etro-polia. Todays name of the town probably has a Thracian origin etr meaning water, i.e. a water field (pole field).

Together with the old church in 1710 a town tower (turned into a clock tower in 1821) was erected, while in 1871 a community cultural centre was built. There the famous Etropoles literary school was established and the proximity of the Etropolski Monastery, only 5 km away from the town, contributed to its sustained development. In 1870 Levski founded a secret revolutionary committee, headed by Todor Peev, one of the brightest leaders of the Revival. The natives of Etropole took part in the Rakovskis Legiya (legion), in the detachments of Hadzhi Dimitur and Stefan Karadzha, of Panayot Hitov, Hristo Makedonski, Hristo Botev. Etropole was liberated on 24th November 1877 by the troops of Gen. Gourko. After the Liberation the town declined. It gradually developed as a tourist centre, taking advantage of the favourable natural resources facilitating this development.

Landmarks: The Town Museum of History (107, Rouski Blvd., tel.: 0720 2124, working hours: - 8.30 a.m. - 12.00 p.m. and 1.30 p.m. - 5.00 p.m.). St. Archangel Mihail Church (in the centre of the town, located at Malki Pazar Square) was first mentioned in 1600, but the present building dates back to 1837, famous with its iconostasis of fine walnut woodcarving. Interesting as well are the Jewish Tower dating back to 14th century and the 20 metres high Defence Turret (Rouski Blvd.). St. George Church (10, Hristo Botev Str.) was erected in the middle of 17th century on the foundations of an old medieval church, completely ruined during the attacks of the kurdzhalii. It was completely built of river stones and pebbles. Twenty-five Revival houses attract the visitors attention. Beautifully scattered along the river of Malki Iskar, they are distinguished for their exuberant and rich wood-carved ceilings, doors, cupboards, hearth places, columns, etc. The walls are whitewashed and colourfully wood-framed. The most typical houses are the Pavelponchovs, the Hadzhi-grigorovs, the Vulchevs, and the Arnaou-dovs houses.
Memorial monument of the soldiers and volunteers killed during the wars, as well as many other monuments.
Etropole is famous with its unique annually held festivities of the men, living in the houses of their parents-in-law.

Accommodation: Еtropol Hotel (Central Square). Еtropole Hotel (at the street above the bus station, offering 120 beds, restaurant, bar, discotheque). Staroplaninets Tourist House (in the Lozeto area, 15 minutes away from the bus station) offers 50 beds in rooms of 2, 4, 5 and 9 beds. The Bash Samokov Tourist Hostel (7 km to the right along the road to Zlatitsa) has 40 beds in rooms of 2, 3, 4 and more beds.

Tourist information is available at the hotels, the Tourist House and at Staroplaninski Tourist Association on Tourism (located in the building of the public forestry building, P.O.Box 53, tel.: 0720 3506).

Transport: Bus transport is the only available. There are regular bus lines to Sofia, Botevgrad, Pravets, Yablanitsa, Lukovit, etc. The bus station (tel.: 0720 2300) is situated at the southeastern end of the town.

User Contributed Pictures




Related Categories

Featured Hotels - Prices and Fast Bookings

No hotels found
Settlements:
 Bankya
 Belchin Banya
 Borovets
 Botevgrad
 Dolna Banya
 Dragoman
 Elin Pelin
 Godech
 Govedartsi
 Ihtiman
 Koprivshtitsa
 Kostenets
 Kostenets Banya
 Kostinbrod
 Mala Tsurkva
 Pirdop
 Pravets
 Samokov
 Slivnitsa
 Svoge
 Zlatitsa

Bulgaria Regions: Sofia District