Gotse Delchev Bulgaria - Travel Guide, Tours, Hotels and Photos - Pictures of Bulgaria

Bulgaria
Home   About Bulgaria   Regions   Settlements A-Z   Sightseeing A-Z   Useful Info   Travel Tips   Articles
Bulgaria Hotels   Bulgaria Tours   Bulgaria Car Rentals   Hot Offers   Maps of Towns   Free Wallpapers   Forum
Pictures of Gotse Delchev:

Gotse Delchev

Gotse Delchev


View photo gallery
Sea Tourism
Mountain Tourism
Rural Tourism
Ski Resorts
Spa Resorts
Monasteries
Natural Parks & Reserves
UNESCO Heritage
Culture Tourism
Wine Tourism
Caving
Hot Offers - Hotel and Tour Discounts
Most Popular Destinations
User Contributed Pictures
Sitemap by Category
Sitemap by Region
Sitemap by Pictures
Sitemap by Hotels
Registration
Login / Logout


Settlements: Gotse Delchev

Gotse Delchev - Pictures Of Bulgaria
The town of Gotse Delchev (20 546 inhabitants, 540 m above sea level) is situated in the valley of the Mesta River, along the banks of its right tributary - the Nevrokop River. It is 22 km north of the Greek border, 51 km south of Bansko, 112 km away from Blagoevgrad and 212 km away from Sofia. It bears the name of legendary Gotse Delchev, ideologist and leader of the Bulgarians from Macedonia in their struggle against the Ottoman domination (till 1959 the towns name had been Nevrokop). To the west above the town is the Mid Pirin Mountain Massif, and to the east opposite to it is the south-western sub-part of the Western Rhodopes called Dubrash Mountain.

History: The first information about this settlement dates back to 9th-10th centuries and in 15th century the name of Nevrokoub was mentioned. In 1625 it was registered as a town. During the Ottoman rule the town developed as a crafts centre. It was famous for the production of small and large cow and sheep bells - the renowned chanove for the herds in Pirin and the Rhodopes (the tradition is been preserved only here). The crafts of skin processing and saddlery also developed. Annual trade fairs were held in the town during the second half of 14th century. In the Revival Period the inhabitants of the town showed acute national consciousness. They erected churches, a monastery school, a secular school, separate schools for young boys and young girls respectively, a communal cultural centre. As stipulated in the Berlin Treaty the town remained in the territory of Turkey and was liberated in the Balkan War (October 1912). The town gave shelter to many refugees from the Serr and Drama areas.

Landmarks: The Town Museum of History is located in a house dating back to 1879 (Hristo Botev Str., the Central Square, tel.: 0751 23156). The Revival Architectural Complex of Rifat Bei (in the old central part of the town). The historical Holy Virgin Church dating back to 1833; the St. Archangel Michail Church (11, Ekzarh Antim Str., tel.: 0751 24014). The private ethnographic collection of Zafir Kunchev (tel.: 0751 23078).
The 500 year-old plane tree is a natural sight of the town. The tree is 24 metre high with perimetre of the trunk of 7.6 metres.

Accommodation: The biggest of all is the Nevrokop Hotel in the centre of the town. Smaller but cosier are Malamovata Kashta Hotel (Malamovs House) (25, Hristo Botev Str.) and Mesta Hotel. The Rorest Rest House welcomes guests, too. There is a Tourist Hostel near the bus station (26 Soloun Str.).

Transport: The connection of Gotse Delchev to the rest of the country is only by bus transport. There are regular bus lines to Sofia, Plovdiv, Blagoevgrad, Razlog, Bansko, Dobrinishte and all the villages in the district. The town has got three bus stations Central Bus Station (Byalo More Str., tel.: 0751 23547, 23367, 23597), Bus Station-Zapad (tel.: 0751 22417) and a private bus station (tel.: 0751 23811).

User Contributed Pictures




Related Categories

Featured Hotels - Prices and Fast Bookings

No hotels found
Settlements:
 Bachevo
 Bansko
 Banya
 Belitsa
 Blagoevgrad
 Damyanitsa
 Dobarsko
 Dolen
 Eleshnitsa
 Garmen
 Hadzhidimovo
 Hursovo
 Kovachevitsa
 Kresna
 Leshten
 Melnik
 Ognyanovo
 Petrich
 Razlog
 Sandanski
 Simitli
 Yakoruda

Bulgaria Regions: Blagoevgrad