Kabile Monastery - Pictures of Bulgaria

Bulgaria
Home   About Bulgaria   Regions   Settlements A-Z   Sightseeing A-Z   Useful Info   Travel Tips   Articles
Bulgaria Hotels   Bulgaria Tours   Bulgaria Car Rentals   Hot Offers   Maps of Towns   Free Wallpapers   Forum
Pictures of Kabile Monastery:

Kabile Monastery

Kabile Monastery


View photo gallery
Sea Tourism
Mountain Tourism
Rural Tourism
Ski Resorts
Spa Resorts
Monasteries
Natural Parks & Reserves
UNESCO Heritage
Culture Tourism
Wine Tourism
Caving
Hot Offers - Hotel and Tour Discounts
Most Popular Destinations
User Contributed Pictures
Sitemap by Category
Sitemap by Region
Sitemap by Pictures
Sitemap by Hotels
Registration
Login / Logout


Monasteries: Kabile Monastery

Kabile Monastery - Pictures Of Bulgaria
The monastery named The Birth of Gods Mother stands out in the middle of a field, nearby the archeology reserve of Kabile 6km away from the town of Yambol. Its well-kept yard brings joy to the visitors eye with its numerous plants and flowers. Most pilgrims are drawn here by the belief that the monasterys holy spring will bring them health and longevity.

In the late antiquity (4-5th c), Kabile was a big religious centre while about 1km away from the present-day archeology reserve there was a monastery during the time of Emperor St Constantine the Great. According to a legend, Queen Elena often sent people to the monastery in order to bring her back water from the curative spring. Later, the monastery became an Orthodox cloister inhabited by nuns and existed as such until the Ottoman invasion in the late 14th c. Despite the monasterys destruction, the memory of the magic water was kept from generation to generation. In 1898, Stoyan Ganev from the village of Kabile, while resting after work in the field saw in his dream a woman in black, who showed him the place of the curative spring. The ploughman started digging in this spot and indeed, water sprang out. Later, however, rows with his countrymen forced Stoyan Ganev to dig the spring back below the surface which according to the story blinded him in this very minute. For 17 years the place was covered with grass and weeds. In 1918, an old lady from Sliven (Maria Marinova) rediscovered the spring after a prophetical dream. There, generous people built a small chapel around which a monastery gradually was erected. Construction works started in 1919 and ended in 1944. The biggest merit for the successful construction had a man from the village of Gen. Inzovo Georgi Nikolov, who travelled from village to village and raised donations for several years. Since 1995, the monastery has been run by a 26-year old nun, Minodora. The monastery at present has just 4 other nuns. It offers accommodation and can host up to 50 people.

User Contributed Pictures




Related Categories

Monasteries:
 Aidemir Monastery
 Aladja Monastery
 Arapovski Monastery
 Arbanasi Monastery
 Bachkovo Monastery
 Bakadzhishki Monastery
 Basarbovski Monastery
 Batoshevski Monastery
 Belashtitza Monastery
 Cherepish Monastery
 Chiprovtsi Monastery
 Constantine and Helena Monastery
 Divotinski Monastery
 Dragalevtsi Monastery
 Dryanovo Monastery
 Etropole Monastery
 Glozhene Monastery
 Godech Monastery
 Gorna Breznitsa Monastery
 Gornovodenski Monastery
 Ivanovo Monastery
 Kapinovski Monastery
 Kilifarevo Monastery
 Klisura Monastery
 Klisura Monastery St. Petka
 Kokalyane Monastery
 Koprivetz Monastery
 Kouklen Monastery
 Kremikovtsi Monastery
 Lopushanski Monastery

Bulgaria Regions: Yambol