Kapinovski Monastery - Pictures of Bulgaria

Bulgaria
Home   About Bulgaria   Regions   Settlements A-Z   Sightseeing A-Z   Useful Info   Travel Tips   Articles
Bulgaria Hotels   Bulgaria Tours   Bulgaria Car Rentals   Hot Offers   Maps of Towns   Free Wallpapers   Forum
Sea Tourism
Mountain Tourism
Rural Tourism
Ski Resorts
Spa Resorts
Monasteries
Natural Parks & Reserves
UNESCO Heritage
Culture Tourism
Wine Tourism
Caving
Hot Offers - Hotel and Tour Discounts
Most Popular Destinations
User Contributed Pictures
Sitemap by Category
Sitemap by Region
Sitemap by Pictures
Sitemap by Hotels
Registration
Login / Logout


Monasteries: Kapinovski Monastery

Location: The Kapinovski monastery, named St Nikola, is built near the Veselina river in the skirts of the beautiful Elena ridge of the Balkan Mountain. The monastery lies 18km to the south of the town of Veliko Turnovo. When looked at from the north, it resembles strikingly a medieval fortress.

History and General Info: The exact date of the monasterys initial construction is not known, but according to a notice found on the monastery churchs apse, a church, named Holy Trinity, was built in this place as early as in the year 1272. According to some legends, the monastery was established by Tsar Ivan Assen II. During the period of the Second Bulgarian State, St Nikola became an important religious centre. With the fall of Turnovo under Ottoman rule, the monastery was set on fire and destroyed. It was no earlier than the late 17th century when countrymen from the surrounding villages managed to get the Turkish authorities approval for its reconstruction.

The most recent renewal of the monastery dates to the early 19th century. The present-day church was built in 1835, while in 1864, two patriotic brothers from the town of Elena donated a substantial sum of money for the construction of new residential buildings for the monasterys monks. The monastery played an important role during the Bulgarian Renaissance period. In 1830, it started to host a literary school while in 1860, it helped in the organisation of the Hadzhi Stavri rebellion. The monastery also took part in the preparations for the April Uprising.

Massive wooden gates and steep stone stairs lead to the monastery yard and the monasterys church, which rises in its centre. The church hosts a rich collection of icons, including one of Our Lady, most likely painted by Pope Vitan, and iconographic works from the near-by Plakovo monastery.

User Contributed Pictures




Related Categories

Monasteries:
 Aidemir Monastery
 Aladja Monastery
 Arapovski Monastery
 Arbanasi Monastery
 Bachkovo Monastery
 Bakadzhishki Monastery
 Basarbovski Monastery
 Batoshevski Monastery
 Belashtitza Monastery
 Cherepish Monastery
 Chiprovtsi Monastery
 Constantine and Helena Monastery
 Divotinski Monastery
 Dragalevtsi Monastery
 Dryanovo Monastery
 Etropole Monastery
 Glozhene Monastery
 Godech Monastery
 Gorna Breznitsa Monastery
 Gornovodenski Monastery
 Ivanovo Monastery
 Kabile Monastery
 Kilifarevo Monastery
 Klisura Monastery
 Klisura Monastery St. Petka
 Kokalyane Monastery
 Koprivetz Monastery
 Kouklen Monastery
 Kremikovtsi Monastery
 Lopushanski Monastery

Bulgaria Regions: Veliko Turnovo