Sea Tourism: Obzor
The town of Obzor is relatively small, with population of slightly over 2,000 people. It is situated 65 km south of Varna or alternatively, 73km north of Bourgas. It lies in the skirts of the eastern part of the Stara Planina Mountain with the mountain ridge raising to the west of the city and the Dvoynitsa river bounding it to the north. The long beach by the town extends from the St. Atanas cape to the north to the southern Mona Petra cape to the south. The town's beach is followed by a small nestling cove and a beach named Irakli after an ancient village of the same name. The St. Nikola cape is several kilometres further to the south where the Balkan Mountains slope into the Black Sea.
About the resort:
In Hellenic times, the name of the town was Navlohos. Later, it became known as Heliopolis (Town of the Sun) and in Roman times it was given the name of Tempium Jovis (Jupiter's Temple). During the Middle Ages the place was dominated by a fortress named Kozyak, though this was later destroyed completely by the Ottoman troops. Its present name Obzor was given in 1935. The near-by beach of Irakli and the surrounding area were once inhabited by Greek settlers who later left it and settled to live with the Bulgarians in Obzor.
User Contributed Pictures
Featured Hotels - Prices and Fast Bookings
Bulgaria Regions: Burgas