Peroushtitsa Bulgaria - Travel Guide, Tours, Hotels and Photos - Pictures of Bulgaria

Bulgaria
Home   About Bulgaria   Regions   Settlements A-Z   Sightseeing A-Z   Useful Info   Travel Tips   Articles
Bulgaria Hotels   Bulgaria Tours   Bulgaria Car Rentals   Hot Offers   Maps of Towns   Free Wallpapers   Forum
Pictures of Peroushtitsa:

Peroushtitsa


View photo gallery
Sea Tourism
Mountain Tourism
Rural Tourism
Ski Resorts
Spa Resorts
Monasteries
Natural Parks & Reserves
UNESCO Heritage
Culture Tourism
Wine Tourism
Caving
Hot Offers - Hotel and Tour Discounts
Most Popular Destinations
User Contributed Pictures
Sitemap by Category
Sitemap by Region
Sitemap by Pictures
Sitemap by Hotels
Registration
Login / Logout


Settlements: Peroushtitsa

Peroushtitsa - Pictures Of Bulgaria
The town of Peroushtitsa (5565 inhabitants, 205 metres above sea level) is situated in the fertile Gornotrakiiska (Upper Thracian) Lowland, immediately below the most northern slopes of the Vurhovrushki hills of the Western Rhodopes. It is situated at the distance of 147 km south-east of Sofia, 24 km south-west of Plovdiv, at the distance of 12 km south of Stamboliiski and at the distance of 7 km east of Krichim. Its name is one of the symbols of the April heroic events of 1876.

History: The assumptions related to the origin of the name of the town are various. Most plausible seem those, which consider that it originated from Peristitsa the name of a medieval Bulgarian fortress whose ruins were left over the steep rocks south of it. There was a system of 2 fortresses here a lower one (Gradishteto) and an upper one (Momino Kale). It is assumed also that the town is the direct inheritor of the Slavonic town of Dragovets. Ruins of Thracian and Roman settlements were found in the surrounding areas of Peroushtitsa. This proved that the settlement is very old and its beginning dates back to ancient times.

The church St. Archangels Gavrail and Mihail (1847) and the famous Danov School in which the first teacher was the prominent Bulgarian enlightener - Hristo Danov who introduced the mutual training method in 1850 were built in Peroushtitsa during the Revival Period. It was one of the first co-educational schools in our country. In 1869 Vassil Levski set up a revolutionary committee in Peroushtitsa headed by Peter Bonev.

The citizens of Peroushtitsa took an active part in the April Uprising (1876). They courageously stood at defence against the numerous bashibozouk (Turkish armed volunteers) hordes and the regular army of Rashid Pasha for five days. They brought their resistance to an end only when the cannon grenades destroyed the roof of the revolutionary fortress - the church St. Archangels Gavrail and Mihail, in which about 600 old people, women and children were gathered. The Turks plundered the settlement and burned down 350 houses. 348 people headed by Peter Bonev - a companion and associate of Rakovski and Levski in the Belgrade Legion and leader of the Uprising in the town died there. His associate Kocho Chestimenski demonstrated an unparalleled heroism and self-sacrifice. Seeing that there was no salvation whatsoever in the church already defenceless from the attacking bashibozouks (Turkish armed volunteers), he killed his wife and children and committed suicide himself. Others followed his example, too. The remaining leaders of the Uprising died heroically as well Spas Ginev, Father Tikev, Dr. Vassil Sokolski. The bones of those martyrs were gathered and buried in the same church so that people could remember them. The citizens of Peroushtitsa were of the first who stood for the union of the Principality of Bulgaria with Eastern Roumelia in 1885.
Landmarks: The church - museum St. Archangels Gavrail and Mihail in the centre of the town. The town Museum of History is housed in a new building in the central Peter Bonev Square. Danovs School. The majestic monument on the Vlasovets Hill, south above town, in favour of the revolutionists who took part in the April Uprising and who found their death in it in a martyr-like manner. The unpretentious monument to Peter Bonev erected next to the historical church. Chervenata Cherkva (The Red Church) - a unique architectural monument is located at the distance of 1 km south-east of the district of Pastousha and is also known under the name Perushtenska Starina (Peroushtitsa antiquity). It was built during the early Middle Ages (5th to 7th centuries) with a skilful combination of the antique Greek with the new Byzantine style. Its imposing and eccentric architecture is amazing. It was proclaimed a monument of culture of national importance.

Accommodation: A big and modern tourist hostel in the centre of the town (78, Ivan Vazov Str.) offering 70 beds in 2 suites and rooms with 2, 3, 6 and more beds.

Tourist information: at the tourist hostel, in the Vurhovruh Tourist Association, located in the tourist hostel, at the town-hall.

Transport: The sole transport of the town is bus transport. The town has regular bus connections with Plovdiv (every 30 minutes), Stamboliiski, Krichim and several other smaller settlements within the region.

User Contributed Pictures




Related Categories

Featured Hotels - Prices and Fast Bookings

No hotels found
Settlements:
 Asenovgrad
 Brestovitsa
 Hissarya
 Kalofer
 Karlovo
 Krichim
 Kuklen
 Luki
 Parvomai
 Plovdiv
 Rakovski
 Sitovo
 Sopot
 Stamboliiski

Bulgaria Regions: Plovdiv