Provadia Bulgaria - Travel Guide, Tours, Hotels and Photos - Pictures of Bulgaria

Home   About Bulgaria   Regions   Settlements A-Z   Sightseeing A-Z   Useful Info   Travel Tips   Articles
Bulgaria Hotels   Bulgaria Tours   Bulgaria Car Rentals   Hot Offers   Maps of Towns   Free Wallpapers   Forum
Pictures of Provadia:



View photo gallery
Sea Tourism
Mountain Tourism
Rural Tourism
Ski Resorts
Spa Resorts
Natural Parks & Reserves
UNESCO Heritage
Culture Tourism
Wine Tourism
Hot Offers - Hotel and Tour Discounts
Most Popular Destinations
User Contributed Pictures
Sitemap by Category
Sitemap by Region
Sitemap by Pictures
Sitemap by Hotels
Login / Logout

Settlements: Provadia

Provadia - Pictures Of Bulgaria
The town of Provadia (population: 15 000; 30 m above sea-level) is situated on the banks of Provadia River in the south end of the gorge of the same name. It is 435 km north-east of Sofia, 55 km south-east of Shoumen, 47 km west of Varna, and 17 km south-west of Devnya. The Bulgarian saltern.

History: The town is a successor of the Byzantine fortress Provaton (Provat) of 5th century, which in Greek means sheep. The Bulgarian medieval fortification town on the same place was called Ovech. The remains of these fortresses can be found right above the town in the region of Tashhisar. In different documents the town appeared with the names of Bourfanto and Ovechgrad.

In 13th-14th centuries the town was a prospering crafts and trading centre. Traders from Doubrovnik and Armenia came here to do business. Ovech was among the most important metropolitan centres in Bulgaria together with Turnovo, Preslav, Cherven, Drustur, and Sredets. It was also called Purvada, Pravada but after all the present day name of Provadia was kept which sounds similar to the first Greek name of the settlement. For decades on end this had been the place where the famous singing carts (over 3000 per year) were made; Yordan Yovkov glorified those in such a poetical manner. In 1844 the St. Nichola Church was erected, and in 1849 a secular school was opened with R. Bluskov as a first teacher there.

After the Liberation Provadia underwent a brisk development and now it is the west branch of the industrial axis Varna-Devnya-Provadia. Six kilometres south-east near the railway station of Mirovo is one of the biggest rock salt deposits in the country (about 3900 m deep), which serves for the production of cooking salt. All travellers that had once visited the town had been fascinated by its beauty - In my opinion there isnt a more wonderful place than this, A remarkable place, A town having too nice a view, An incomparable town!

Landmarks: The Revival Architecture Museum Complex in the ancient Varosha Quarter with the well known Lambovs House; the Town Museum of History; the Svetoslav Obretenovs House-Museum; the St. Nichola Church (1844); the Clock Tower (16th-17th century); the Old Bazaar.

Accommodation: Balneohotel. The Arkovna Hut (in the Prolet Park in the rest zone near the town, 1.5 km away from the bus station and 2 km from the railway station). It offers 15 beds in two-, three-, four-, and six-bed rooms. Reservations in the Tourist Association in the town (see below).

Tourist Information: in the hotel and at the Ovech Tourist Association (13, Tsar Osvoboditel Str., tel.: 0518 2040).

Transport: Passengers travel to and from Provadia by bus and train. The railway station is on the main line Sofia-Gorna Oryahovitsa-Varna. There are regular bus lines to Varna, Shumen, Devnya and other smaller towns and villages in the district. There is a bus station. Due to the short distance to Varna the town favours the use of air and sea transport.

User Contributed Pictures

Related Categories

Featured Hotels - Prices and Fast Bookings

No hotels found
 Constantine and Helena
 Golden Sands

Bulgaria Regions: Varna