Sevlievo Bulgaria - Travel Guide, Tours, Hotels and Photos - Pictures of Bulgaria

Bulgaria
Home   About Bulgaria   Regions   Settlements A-Z   Sightseeing A-Z   Useful Info   Travel Tips   Articles
Bulgaria Hotels   Bulgaria Tours   Bulgaria Car Rentals   Hot Offers   Maps of Towns   Free Wallpapers   Forum
Sea Tourism
Mountain Tourism
Rural Tourism
Ski Resorts
Spa Resorts
Monasteries
Natural Parks & Reserves
UNESCO Heritage
Culture Tourism
Wine Tourism
Caving
Hot Offers - Hotel and Tour Discounts
Most Popular Destinations
User Contributed Pictures
Sitemap by Category
Sitemap by Region
Sitemap by Pictures
Sitemap by Hotels
Registration
Login / Logout


Settlements: Sevlievo

The town of Sevlievo (about 25 000 inhabitants, 200 metres above sea level) is situated in the mountain valley of the same name, along the left bank of the Rositsa River, a little after its spillway with the Vidima River. It is situated at the distance of 190 km north-east of the capital city, 28 km north-west of Gabrovo, 50 km west of Veliko Turnovo, 37 km south-east of Lovech, 47 km north-east of Troyan, 40 km south-west of Pavlikeni and 41 km north-east of Apriltsi.

History: The settlement emerged in the 15th century as a village producing timber boards but it is likely that it had existed before that, too (10th-12th centuries).
It was mentioned under the name of Selvi for the first time in 1618 where its present name comes from (it is related to the surrounding vegetation). It was completely devastated and put to fire by the kurdzhalii (Turkish brigands) in 1798. The settlement recovered comparatively quickly as an administrative centre with a well-developed craftsmanship - woodworking, leather processing and tailoring, weaving. There was a well-known cattle market here, too but it was the silkworm breeding and the silk-trade which brought the greatest glory to the town and made it famous. There was a great demand for silkworm seed and silk from Sevlievo in Austria, France, Romania. The population of the town was affected by the great plague in 1838.

The town did not neglect its cultural development, either. A community centre was founded there (1870) by Dr. Stoicho Zografski, schools, churches, a clock tower (1777), beautiful houses and bridges were built as well. Petko R. Slaveikov and Martin Sofroniev were teachers here. Hadzhi Angel Ivanov translated the text of church hymns into the language of Slavs and Bulgarians and the Priest Pencho Nestorov translated the Gospel into the Bulgarian language. After the Liberation the town at first declined as a craftsmanship centre but quickly developed after that.

Landmarks: The Town Museum of History located in the building of the first secular (Hadzhi Stoyanovs) school (in the centre of the town, 6, Petko R. Slaveikov Street, tel.: 0675 4463, 4852), built in 1844, where P. R. Sla-vei-kov was a teacher for a short time. The clock tower (in the centre of the town) built by Bulgarian builder masters (1877-1879) of stone, bricks, mortar and wood. It has an original architectural appearance and is 18 m high.
Saint Prophet Iliya Church (in the centre of the town, 12, Skobelev Street, tel.: 0675 3296), built up in 1834 and having a valuable wood-carved iconostasis. The Holy Trinity Church (in the centre of the town, 12, Sv. Troitsa Street, tel.: 0675 4495) of 1870. The stone bridge over the Rositsa River built by Master Kolyu Ficheto during 1857-1858 and restored after the flood in 1939.

The Monument to Freedom (in the centre of the town) was erected in 1894 and was designed by Otto Horeishi and Arnoldo Zocci (Italian sculptor, author of monuments in Sofia, Rousse, Oriahovo). The pillar of the monument is an original stone column from the Roman town of Nikopolis ad Istrum (beside the village of Nikyup, Turmovo region), and the figure was made in Vienna. The gallows on which the revolutionaries from Sevlievo were hanged in 1876 was in the place of todays monument. Tabahanata (tannery) - restored and open to visitors.

Accommodation: The Rositsa Hotel (1, Svoboda Square, in the centre of the town). There are several public catering establishments, which serve delicious traditional cuisine. Here are two of them: the Royal Restaurant (in the centre of the town, 10, Slavianska Street, working hours: 9.00 a.m. 12.00 p.m.) and the Loven Dom (Hunters House) Restaurant (on the right bank of Rositsa River, to the south of the stadium).

Tourist information: at the hotel and at the Rositsa-Mazalat Tourist Association (34, Iv. Presnakov Street, tel.: 0675 3005, 3004).

Transport: Bus transport provides regular connections with Sofia, Gabrovo, Veliko Turnovo, Lovech, Pleven, Troyan, Apriltsi, Pavlikeni and other smaller settlements within the region. The bus station (Stoyan Buchvarov Street, tel.: 0675 3628, 3627, 3625) is situated in the western part of the town.

User Contributed Pictures




Related Categories

Featured Hotels - Prices and Fast Bookings

No featured hotels found


Settlements:
 Bozhentsi
 Dryanovo
 Etura
 Gabrovo
 Kmetovtsi
 Plachkovtsi
 Tryavna
 Tzareva Livada
 Velkovtsi

Bulgaria Regions: Gabrovo