Shipchenski Monastery Bulgaria - Travel Guide, Tours, Hotels and Photos - Pictures of Bulgaria

Bulgaria
Home   About Bulgaria   Regions   Settlements A-Z   Sightseeing A-Z   Useful Info   Travel Tips   Articles
Bulgaria Hotels   Bulgaria Tours   Bulgaria Car Rentals   Hot Offers   Maps of Towns   Free Wallpapers   Forum
Pictures of Shipchenski Monastery:

Shipchenski Monastery

Shipchenski Monastery


View photo gallery
Sea Tourism
Mountain Tourism
Rural Tourism
Ski Resorts
Spa Resorts
Monasteries
Natural Parks & Reserves
UNESCO Heritage
Culture Tourism
Wine Tourism
Caving
Hot Offers - Hotel and Tour Discounts
Most Popular Destinations
User Contributed Pictures
Sitemap by Category
Sitemap by Region
Sitemap by Pictures
Sitemap by Hotels
Registration
Login / Logout


Shipchenski Monastery Tours

Visit Shipchenski Monastery as part of our Bulgarian UNESCO Sites Programme
Visit Shipchenski Monastery as part of our Classic Bulgaria Programme
Visit Shipchenski Monastery as part of our Wine Tour - Northern Bulgaria
Visit Shipchenski Monastery as part of our Festival of Roses in Kazanluk 7 days Programme

Monasteries: Shipchenski Monastery

Shipchenski Monastery - Pictures Of Bulgaria
Location: The Shipchenski monastery St Nikolay rises above the village of Shipka in the skirts of the central Balkan mountain.

History and General Info: The monastery was built in living memory to the Russian soldiers and Bulgarian revolutionaries who died during the Russian-Turkish Liberation War of 1877-1878. The funds needed for the construction of the monastery were raised from donors mostly in Russia, but also in Bulgaria upon the initiative of Olga Skobeleva, mother of the Russian general Skobelev and count Ignatiev. Construction works started in 1885 and finished in 1902 under the guidance of Russian architects. Initially, the monastery was Russian property, but in 1934, it was donated by the Soviet government to the Bulgarian state.

The St Nikolay church is a true architectural masterpiece, built in the traditional style of 17th-century Russian cathedrals. The church, declared a monument of culture, shines with its colourful mosaic decoration and golden domes from a big distance. It has one central dome and 4 smaller gilted ones with golden crosses on top. A 53-meter high belltower with 17 bells (the biggest of which weighs almost 12 tons) rises right next to the western faade of the church. Inside the church, visitors can see 24 mosaic plates with the names of 18,491 Bulgarians and Russians who gave their lives during the struggles at the Shipka peak and in the neighbourhood of Kazanluk. The churchs walls were painted twice first in 1902 by G. Mesoedov and A. Mitov, and then again in 1957-1959 by a team of wall-painters, headed by N. Rostovtsev.

User Contributed Pictures




Related Categories

Featured Hotels - Prices and Fast Bookings

No hotels found
Monasteries:
 Aidemir Monastery
 Aladja Monastery
 Arapovski Monastery
 Arbanasi Monastery
 Bachkovo Monastery
 Bakadzhishki Monastery
 Basarbovski Monastery
 Batoshevski Monastery
 Belashtitza Monastery
 Cherepish Monastery
 Chiprovtsi Monastery
 Constantine and Helena Monastery
 Divotinski Monastery
 Dragalevtsi Monastery
 Dryanovo Monastery
 Etropole Monastery
 Glozhene Monastery
 Godech Monastery
 Gorna Breznitsa Monastery
 Gornovodenski Monastery
 Ivanovo Monastery
 Kabile Monastery
 Kapinovski Monastery
 Kilifarevo Monastery
 Klisura Monastery
 Klisura Monastery St. Petka
 Kokalyane Monastery
 Koprivetz Monastery
 Kouklen Monastery
 Kremikovtsi Monastery

Bulgaria Regions: Stara Zagora