Sokolski Monastery Bulgaria - Travel Guide, Tours, Hotels and Photos - Pictures of Bulgaria

Bulgaria
Home   About Bulgaria   Regions   Settlements A-Z   Sightseeing A-Z   Useful Info   Travel Tips   Articles
Bulgaria Hotels   Bulgaria Tours   Bulgaria Car Rentals   Hot Offers   Maps of Towns   Free Wallpapers   Forum
Pictures of Sokolski Monastery:

Sokolski Monastery

Sokolski Monastery


View photo gallery
Sea Tourism
Mountain Tourism
Rural Tourism
Ski Resorts
Spa Resorts
Monasteries
Natural Parks & Reserves
UNESCO Heritage
Culture Tourism
Wine Tourism
Caving
Hot Offers - Hotel and Tour Discounts
Most Popular Destinations
User Contributed Pictures
Sitemap by Category
Sitemap by Region
Sitemap by Pictures
Sitemap by Hotels
Registration
Login / Logout


Sokolski Monastery Tours

Visit Sokolski Monastery as part of our Beautiful Bulgaria Programme

Monasteries: Sokolski Monastery

Sokolski Monastery - Pictures Of Bulgaria
The Sokolski monastery Holy Mothers Assumption is situated 15km to the southeast of Gabrovo in an area called Sokolova Peshtera (Falcons Cave). Its location together with its founder and first father Arhimandrit Yosif Sokolski have given the name of the monastery.

The monastery was established in 1833 after in the autumn of 1832, Yosif Sokolski arrives to his home region, accompanied by another monk, Agapii. The two chose the stone terrace in front of the Sokolova Peshtera (Falcons Cave) for the place of the new monastery and dug its first church in the limestone rock. The church was small and wooden, while a primitive wooden house was built next to it. Everything was finished in January 1833, while the consecration of the church was carried out by the Turnovo metropolitan bishop, Ilarion of Crete on the 15th of August, 1834.

The present-day church was built in 1834, while its inside and outside wallpaintings were finished in 1862 by a priest, Pavel, and his son Nikolay. The entire monastery, including its fresco, has been recently restored with financial assistance from the EU. The iconostasis was also completed in 1862 by masters of the Tryavna school of icon-painting, while the churchs main icon was painted by the renowned Gabrovo icon-painter Hristo Tsokev. It is believed that the icon of the Gods Mother with the Son, put in a small icon-stand in the left part of the church is wonder-working. The entire monastery complex was finished during Bulgarias Renaissance period with the help of donations by Gabrovo citizens and residents of nearby villages. A valuable architectural monument can be seen in the middle of the monasterys yard a big round-shaped fountain, built by the famous master Kolyu Ficheto that still shines with its beauty.

User Contributed Pictures




Related Categories

Featured Hotels - Prices and Fast Bookings

No hotels found
Monasteries:
 Aidemir Monastery
 Aladja Monastery
 Arapovski Monastery
 Arbanasi Monastery
 Bachkovo Monastery
 Bakadzhishki Monastery
 Basarbovski Monastery
 Batoshevski Monastery
 Belashtitza Monastery
 Cherepish Monastery
 Chiprovtsi Monastery
 Constantine and Helena Monastery
 Divotinski Monastery
 Dragalevtsi Monastery
 Dryanovo Monastery
 Etropole Monastery
 Glozhene Monastery
 Godech Monastery
 Gorna Breznitsa Monastery
 Gornovodenski Monastery
 Ivanovo Monastery
 Kabile Monastery
 Kapinovski Monastery
 Kilifarevo Monastery
 Klisura Monastery
 Klisura Monastery St. Petka
 Kokalyane Monastery
 Koprivetz Monastery
 Kouklen Monastery
 Kremikovtsi Monastery

Bulgaria Regions: Gabrovo