Monasteries: Sopot Monastery
The Sopot monastery "St. Spas" is located about a kilometer away from the town of Sopot in northern direction, in the skirts of the Balkan mountain.
The exact date of the emergence of Sopot Monastery has not reached us. It is believed that it was established in the 13th c. as a successor of the "Holy Trinity" monastery (another monastery in the Sopot region) that disappeared in the 11-12th c. The Sopot monastery used to develop rich literature and revolutionary activities. The monastery was a meeting place for Neofit Rilski and the Koprivshtitsa wealthy man Valko Chalakov, who prepared the opening of schools in the towns of Plovdiv and Koprivshtitsa, while in 1828, the Father Superior of the monastery, Pantaleymon, made a copy with corrections of the famous "History of Slavic Bulgarians" by Paisii Hilendarski.
User Contributed Pictures
Bulgaria Regions: Plovdiv