The town of Tsarevo has above 6,000 inhabitants, and lies 72km south of Bourgas. Similarly to other nearby towns and villages, Tsarevo is situated at the very border between the Strandzha Mountain and the sea. It lies over two small peninsulas, bordering a beautiful inlet. The peak of Papiya, which is 502m high and shows traces of an old fortress, stands out to the south of the town and is an additional attraction of Tsarevo. The town is an administrative centre and has a lot of specialized stores (e.g. for vehicle spare parts) and a hospital.
About the resort:
In ancient times, the place was inhabited by a colony named Vassiliko. The town of Tsarevo was included in the territory of Bulgaria only in 1912. The name of Tsarevo dates back to the 1930s. With the communists' taking power in September, 1944 it was renamed into Michurin in honour of the renowned Russian biologist, and bore this name until the fall of socialist rule. It is an international port for medium-sized passenger and cargo ships.