Turgovishte Bulgaria - Travel Guide, Tours, Hotels and Photos - Pictures of Bulgaria

Bulgaria
Home   About Bulgaria   Regions   Settlements A-Z   Sightseeing A-Z   Useful Info   Travel Tips   Articles
Bulgaria Hotels   Bulgaria Tours   Bulgaria Car Rentals   Hot Offers   Maps of Towns   Free Wallpapers   Forum
Pictures of Turgovishte:

Turgovishte

Turgovishte


View photo gallery
Sea Tourism
Mountain Tourism
Rural Tourism
Ski Resorts
Spa Resorts
Monasteries
Natural Parks & Reserves
UNESCO Heritage
Culture Tourism
Wine Tourism
Caving
Hot Offers - Hotel and Tour Discounts
Most Popular Destinations
User Contributed Pictures
Sitemap by Category
Sitemap by Region
Sitemap by Pictures
Sitemap by Hotels
Registration
Login / Logout


Settlements: Turgovishte

Turgovishte - Pictures Of Bulgaria
The town of Turgovishte (population: 40 775; 170 m above sea-level) is situated at the southern foot of the low mountain of Preslav along either bank of the Vrana River. It is 339 km north-east of Sofia, 41 km west of Shou-men, 25 km north-west of Veliki Preslav, 24 km north-east of Omourtag, 100 km north-east of Veliko Tarnovo, 36 km south of Razgrad, and 35 km south-east of Popovo. It was an ancient market settlement. A district centre.

History: The earliest vestiges of human life in the area date back to the copper-stone era (halcolite) of the 5th-4th millennium before Christ (near the village of Ovcharovo). In the vicinity of the town there have been recovered remains of settlements and necropolises from the ancient times (the gold treasure from Kralevo). The name of the present town was first mentioned in 16th century as Eski Dzhoumaya (eski - old, dzhoumaya - Friday; on that same day markets were organised in the Turkish settlements, so in this particular case it is rather a market place or if translated - Old market). It was first registered as such in a Turkish register of 1573, and in the following 17th century the traveller Hadzhi Kalfa gave it a short description. At first it was entirely an Oriental town. In the course of years a lot of Bulgarians settled to live there. The crafts underwent a brisk development together with the trade therewith. The well-known Eski Dzhoumaya Fair started at the end of 18th century became the largest in the Danube district and one of the biggest and most representing in the Ottoman Empire. It used to commence on 14th May and last for 8 days. Traders came from the whole of the Ottoman Empire, from Russia and from the west European countries - Germany, Austria, and England - they offered industrial goods. Lots of cattle were sold at the fair, but most of all horses, so it was called Haivan or Kamshik Panair (Whip Fair). It always started with big horse races (koushii). At the beginning it was held in the central parts of the town but in 1865 - 1868 it was moved to a special place outside the town with elementary conveniences like inn, stables, cattle-sheds, eating-houses, bakery, wells, court place where problems and thefts were settled, etc. - prototype of nowadays market places. It was held till the end of 19th century. The material prosperity lead to cultural progress of the settlement. The small school was now transformed into a secular school in 1846 and in 1863 the construction of its new building of European style was completed (it was the most prominent building in Eski Dzhoumaya), this was where Pencho Slaveikov worked as a teacher for some time. In the winter of 1872 Angel Kanchev set up a revolutionary committee. The leaders of the Bulgarian National Revival, Sava Gerenov and Sava Katrafilov, spread the seeds of progress and national consciousness. The latter together with Nikola Simov-Kourouto (the colour-bearer of Botev detachment of armed volunteers) were members of Botevs detachment. Both of them died a heroic death in the battles against the Ottomans.

During the Russian-Turkish War of Liberation (1877-1878) the inhabitants of the town showed great courage in defending the Bulgarian quarters from the Circassians and Bashi-bozouks. The town was liberated in January 1878.
In 1934 the town was renamed Turgovishte. It is more and more developing as a tourist centre. The traditional fair in Turgovishte known as the Spring Fair and Industrial Goods Expo was resumed.

Landmarks: There are more than 30 buildings of interesting architecture in the old Revival quarter called Varosh. Among them are the school named St. St. Cyril and Methodius and Their Five Disciples (1863; 1, G.S.Rakovski Str.) where Spiridon Gramadov and Petko R. Slaveikov (who gave the plan for the construction) were teachers and where the latter started editing the Gaida (Bagpipe) newspaper. At present the building houses the Museum of History (tel.: 0601 25188, working hours: 9.00 a.m. - 12.00 a.m. and 2.00 p.m. - 5.00 p.m. except Mondays). The Assumption Church (1851; Ekzarh Yosiff Str., tel.: 0601 41236) is one of the most beautiful churches built in Bulgaria before the Liberation. The house of Angel Hadzhi Droumev (1863; 14, G.S.Rakovski Str.) is one of the most precious sights from the Revival Period in the town; it was built by the masters of Tryavna (the Ethnographic Museum at present). The Nikola Simov-Kourouto Museum Exposition (20, Karavelov Str.). Sveshtarovs House (1860). The houses of priest Zahariev, of Ilia Katsarov and others. The Nikola Marinov Art Gallery (Mourgash Str. tel.: 0601 27760) bears the name of the renowned Bulgarian artist born in the town and possesses a rich collection of his works.

Monuments of Nikola Simov-Kourouto, of the Russian soldiers killed in the War of Liberation, of all those killed in the wars and others.

In Turgovishte there is a Theatre of Drama (Svoboda Square, tel.: 0601 23377) and a Puppet Theatre (Hristo Botev Str., tel.: 0601 25085). There is a branch of the Blagoevgrad University here.

Accommodation: the Mizia Hotel (in the centre of the town, 1 Svoboda Square, tel.: 0601 23753, fax: 0601 24693). Belia Lav Hotel (The White Lion) (2, Skopie Str.). Chervenata Kashta Hotel (The Red House) (in the eastern part of the town, 40, Antim I Str.). Belia Kon Motel (White Horse) (on the way Sofia-Varna). Rai Hotel Complex (Paradise) (on the way Sofia-Varna). The Polyanitsa Motel (in the region of Polyanitsa). The Borovets House of Tourism (situated in the park of the same name at the south-eastern end of the town, 20 min. walk away from the centre). It has entire disposal of 78 places, 1 suite and two-, four-, five-, and six-bed rooms. All above establishments have restaurants. There are many other places in the town offering original Bulgarian food. Here are two of them: Maikop (11, St. Karadga Str.) and the Roden Kat Tavern (Native Place) (Tsar Osvoboditel Str.).

Tourist Information: available at the hotels, houses of tourism and the N. Simov Tourist Association (3, Benkovska Str., tel.: 0601 27651, 27744).

Transport: Bus and railway transport connects the town with the rest of the world. There are regular bus lines to Omourtag, Shoumen, Veliki Preslav, Razgrad, Popovo and other smaller villages in the district. The bus station is situated near the centre (N. Marinov Str., tel.: 0601 24316, 23101). The town is a railway station on Sofia - Gorna Oryahovitsa - Varna main railway line. The railway station is located in the northern part of the town (tel.: 0601 25236, 22959).

There is an airport adjacent to the town but at present there are no regular passengers flights. There is public bus transport functioning in the town of Turgovishte.

User Contributed Pictures




Related Categories

Featured Hotels - Prices and Fast Bookings

No hotels found
Settlements:
 Antonovo
 Omurtag

Bulgaria Regions: Turgovishte