Veliki Preslav Bulgaria - Travel Guide, Tours, Hotels and Photos - Pictures of Bulgaria

Bulgaria
Home   About Bulgaria   Regions   Settlements A-Z   Sightseeing A-Z   Useful Info   Travel Tips   Articles
Bulgaria Hotels   Bulgaria Tours   Bulgaria Car Rentals   Hot Offers   Maps of Towns   Free Wallpapers   Forum
Pictures of Veliki Preslav:

Veliki Preslav

Veliki Preslav


View photo gallery
Sea Tourism
Mountain Tourism
Rural Tourism
Ski Resorts
Spa Resorts
Monasteries
Natural Parks & Reserves
UNESCO Heritage
Culture Tourism
Wine Tourism
Caving
Hot Offers - Hotel and Tour Discounts
Most Popular Destinations
User Contributed Pictures
Sitemap by Category
Sitemap by Region
Sitemap by Pictures
Sitemap by Hotels
Registration
Login / Logout


Sightseeing: Veliki Preslav

Veliki Preslav - Pictures Of Bulgaria
The town of Veliki Preslav (population: 10 645; 120 m above sea-level) is situated on either banks of the Ticha River shortly before it flows into the Golyama Kamchia River. It is 365 km north-east of Sofia, 19 km south-west of Shou-men, 25 km south-east of Turgovishte, 23 km north-west of Smyadovo, and 37 km north-east of Vurbitsa. Successor of the second capital of Asparuhs state bearing the same name.

History: Veliki Preslav was the second capital of Danubian Bulgaria. Its imposing ruins are to be found 2 km south of the present day town. Veliki Preslav was the capital of the Bulgarian kingdom from 893 till 969 in the epoch of its supreme might and in the boom of Old Bulgarian culture (the so called Golden Age). It sprang up in the first half of 9th century during the reign of Khan Omourtag (814-831) as a military camp with a fortified palace and garrison. Tsar Simeon (893-927) proclaimed it capital (thus moving it from Pliska). It established as an administrative, cult-religious, and cultural centre of the medieval Bulgarian state, renowned for its remarkable monumental construction work, the achievements of applied arts, the stone plastic arts, the painted ceramics, the famous literary school.

Veliki Preslav grew systematically as a town. It has the same construction of gates, towers and walls as Pliska does. It had the same two fortification rings separating the Interior from the Exterior City, however the exterior zone is not the ditch typical for the ancient Bulgarians but a solid and high fortress wall. Following and improving their own tradition of construction work the Bulgarian masters first in Europe built a town with two concentric fortress walls - the exterior being 3.25 m thick, and the interior (the citadel) - 2.80 to 3 m thick.

Preslav is a pure Bulgarian name coming from preslavun (famous, most glorious), and the name Veliki was added when the capital turned into a really huge and representative town for its time. The old Bulgarian capital occupied a territory of 3.5 sq. km. In the course of 28 years it was built on and improved by Tsar Simeon the Great, one of the most educated European rulers, an exceptional statesman, soldier and man of letters (a disciple of the Magnaur School in Constantinopol). He made Preslav the most majestic town in the whole of south-eastern Europe second only to the capital of Byzantium. For comparison, the population of London in 10th century was hardly fifteen thousand people, Paris had still not developed as a city, Madrid was a village, and Berlin and Moscow did not yet exist. The most talented Bulgarian men of letters of the time worked there - Yoan Ekzarh, Chernorizets Hrabar, Konstantin Preslavski, Presvyter Kozma, Tudor Doksov. Being followers of the mission of Cyril and Methodius, for several decades they turned the Old Bulgarian language from ecclesiastical into one of the richest literary languages of Europe at that time. In 969 Veliki Preslav was conquered by Prince Svetoslav of Kiev, and between 971 and 1186 it suffered the Byzantine rule and bore the name of Johnanopolis. In 13th-14th centuries it was a significant administrative centre, main bishops residence. In 1388 the town was conquered and destroyed by the Turks. Some Turkish documents of 1573, 1585 and 1620 registered a village on the spot of the present day town with the name Eski Stambolchouk (Old Istanbul) bearing the memory of the old capital. The village had this name till 1878, and then it was called Preslav. In 1993 the town returned to the name signifying its biggest grandeur. (Veliki Preslav).

There have been preserved remains of fortress walls, palaces, civil ensembles, workshops, public baths, water pipe systems. The most precious building in Veliki Preslav in the past (as well as a sight today) was the Round (Golden) Church built in 908. Its dome (gold-plated outside and inlaid on gold inside) covers the central building with 12 niches (cut in the wall) and 12 white marble columns erected in between them. In respect of plan and rich mosaic and sculptural decoration, the Golden Church is a unique example of the old Bulgarian architecture. It was a predecessor of the European Baroque with several centuries ahead of its time. It had good reputation during Middle Ages.

The whole region of the ruins was declared a National Historical and Archaeological Reserve (tel.: 0538 2630, 3243). A rich archaeological museum is functioning on its territory; it was founded 90 years ago. Of particular interest is the section about the painted ceramics of Preslav and especially the world-famous ceramic icon of St. Teodor Stratilat. The museum takes pride in Preslavs golden treasure and the unique collection of lead seals of Bulgarian and Byzantine rulers and dignitaries; these are exposed in the special hall. There is a bus line to the ruins and the museum.

Landmarks of the new town: The Ethnographic House is a good example of Bulgarian customs in the past. Visitors are offered to hear authentic folklore, and taste the traditional durpana banitsa (specially made sheeted pasty) and the wonderful wines of Preslav. The St. St. Peter and Pavel Church was declared a monument of culture. Tsar Simeon and the Bookmen Sculpture Composition. A monument in memory of the people of Preslav killed in 1912-1918 wars.

Veliki Preslav is a famous manufacturer of wines and cognacs of high quality, which are sold in England, Belgium, the Netherlands, USA, Canada and Russia.

Accommodation: the Preslav Hotel (Simeon Veliki Str.)

Tourist Information: in the hotel and the Patleina Tourist Association (41, Boris Spirov Str., tel.: 0538 2628).

Transport: The town has bus and railway transport. There are regular bus lines to Shoumen, Turgovishte, Vurbitsa, Smyadovo, and other smaller villages in the region. The bus station is in the central part of the town (Boris Spirov Str.). The town is the final railway station on the Khan Kroum-Veliki Preslav railway line that connects it with the main line Sofia - Gorna Oryahovitsa - Varna and in this way with the national railway system. The railway station is located in the eastern industrial zone of the town of Veliki Preslav.

User Contributed Pictures




Related Categories

Featured Hotels - Prices and Fast Bookings

No hotels found
Sightseeing:
 Agushevi Konatsi
 Alepu Lagoon
 Arkutino Reserve
 Ashiklar
 Assenova Fortress
 Baba Vida Fortress
 Bachkovo Monastery
 Bacho Kiro Cave
 Baltata Nature Reserve
 Basarbovski Monastery
 Batoshevski Monastery
 Beglik Tash
 Belashtitza Monastery
 Belogradchik Rocks
 Botanic Garden
 Boyana Church
 Bozhentsi
 Chairite Lakes
 Chepino River Gorge
 Cherven
 Devil's Bridge
 Devil's Throat Cave
 Divotinski Monastery
 Dourankoulak Moor
 Emine Cape
 Erma River Gorge
 Etura
 Godech Monastery
 Iskar Gorge
 Kabile Archaeology Reserve

Bulgaria Regions: Shumen