Yablanitsa Bulgaria - Travel Guide, Tours, Hotels and Photos - Pictures of Bulgaria

Bulgaria
Home   About Bulgaria   Regions   Settlements A-Z   Sightseeing A-Z   Useful Info   Travel Tips   Articles
Bulgaria Hotels   Bulgaria Tours   Bulgaria Car Rentals   Hot Offers   Maps of Towns   Free Wallpapers   Forum
Pictures of Yablanitsa:

Yablanitsa


View photo gallery
Sea Tourism
Mountain Tourism
Rural Tourism
Ski Resorts
Spa Resorts
Monasteries
Natural Parks & Reserves
UNESCO Heritage
Culture Tourism
Wine Tourism
Caving
Hot Offers - Hotel and Tour Discounts
Most Popular Destinations
User Contributed Pictures
Sitemap by Category
Sitemap by Region
Sitemap by Pictures
Sitemap by Hotels
Registration
Login / Logout


Settlements: Yablanitsa

Yablanitsa - Pictures Of Bulgaria
The town of Yablanitsa (3312 inhabitants, 420 m above sea level) is picturesquely scattered in between the average size massifs of Dragoitsa and Lissets, offshoots of Stara Planina Mountain, along the banks of Kalenovik River. It is respectively 101 km and 39 km north-east of Sofia and Botevgrad, 28 km north of Etropole, 24 km south of Loukovit, 23 km north-west of Teteven and 65 km south-west of Lovech. The town is famous with its Yablanitsa halva.

History: This area was populated even during the Old Stone, Stone-Copper and Bronze Ages. There are numerous Thracian mounds scattered around the town, part of them being thoroughly explored. The name of the town Yablanitsa has centuries old history. It was first mentioned in 15th century as Ablanitsa, but the root of the word has Old Bulgarian origin (ablan meaning apple tree). During the Turkish rule the village was scattered and divided into quarters, and following the construction of the road from Rouschuk (Rousse) to Sofia, these quarters grouped around it. Its inhabitants were known as the so-called voinutsi (partially tax exempted against certain duties to the central authorities), who kept their freedom-loving spirit alive. They took part in the detachments of Philip Totyu, Hadzhi Dimitur, and Stefan Karadzha. In 1873 the Apostle Levski and Dimitur Obshti established a revolutionary committee there. During the Russian-Turkish War of Liberation (1877-1878) its inhabitants actively supported the troops of the Russian Gen. Gurko.
The beginning of 18th century gave strong impetus to the development of various crafts, out of which the pottery and halva producing are still very popular for the region. The first church school was opened in 1870. In 1879 the first independent school building was built. Yablanitsa was proclaimed a town in 1969.

Landmarks: The central street attracts the attention of the visitors with its old houses dating back to the end of 19th and the beginning of 20th century, with its nice chestnut trees. A rich museum collection is exhibited in Nauka Community Cultural Centre, a Revival style building (working hours: 8.00 a.m. - 5.00 p.m.).

Accommodation: Balkanskal Departmental Resort House.
Tourist information is availableat the Community Cultural Centre and at the town-hall (in the centre of the town, 5750 Yablanitsa).

Transport: Located along the Hemus motorway (running from Sofia to Varna and Rousse), the town takes advantage of all bus lines, passing through it. Besides a transit stop on some major bus lines, the town has regular bus lines to Teteven, Loukovit, Lovech and other smaller villages. The bus station is at the central square, where also passes the major road connecting the town with the motorway.

The closest railway station is that of Zlatna Panega on the railway line Cherven Bryag - Zlatna Panega (9 km to the north). Bus transport to the railway station is available).

User Contributed Pictures




Related Categories

Featured Hotels - Prices and Fast Bookings

No hotels found
Settlements:
 Apriltsi
 Beli Osam
 Cherni Osam
 Chiflik
 Lovech
 Lukovit
 Ribaritsa
 Shipkovo
 Teteven
 Troyan

Bulgaria Regions: Lovech